What's eating my garden?

 

I figured out what was eating my lettuce.

Yeah, I should be able to do a better job of it than I do, but I am still a beginner.

 

Turns out they are EARWIGS.

Earwig image

UGLY little things.

They were about ½” long in my garden.

 

BUT, it turns out they are another bug that is driven out by diatomaceous earth.

Article here: https://www.almanac.com/pest/earwigs

 

Diatomaceous earth is fossilized diatoms, which is mostly, if not completely silica dust. Silica is a stone.  The silica dust something the bugs really don’t like. It gets between their joints and basically saws them apart, so the bugs leave that area alone. And because it Is basically stone dust, it washes off the plants like, well, dust. You just have to reapply every time it rains (or you water).

 

Next year I will be using a soaker hose to water my garden, which will make this easier.

 

Thats all for tonight.

Jason

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snowing... Is it a disaster?

Firearm Maintanence

Winter specific tools